Sunday 14 December 2008

so now what?

Well I'm sitting here on a sunday afternoon. All of my coursework has been completed. Tomorrow I will get up at 5.50am to go to cycle, then come home without having to rush to board the sardine line - I will take my children to Kinder/Child care and my might leisurely go home and make myself a yummy coffee (thanks Shel ;) ). Thats going to be strange. The next time I enter a workplace there will be not "student" in front of my name, and I will be getting paid!

While I am excited for the most part, I still have this dreaded thesis hanging above my head and until that is done I can not celebrate fully, so today/tomorrow/tuesday and beyond you will most likely find me with my head firmly down attempting to get as much done on my thesis as possible. Because I just want everything to be over, I want to celebrate with my family and do family things - and if I do happen to score my dream job - they want me to start straight away.

Now onto this dream job. I am currently trying to stop myself from getting my hopes up too much. The reality is that this workplace takes a number of students (I think approx 6), so it is very likely, strike that certain that out of that group of 6 students there will be at least one stand-out. Who will probably apply for the job and will be given it. I know how these things work, I truly do. What is keeping my hopes up is that I've had 2 phone calls from the head of SW there who knows my name and has spoken to me for over 45 minutes - very kindly explained the structure of their dept and gave me ideas of how else to get a job there (locum advice etc). But still, one must be realistic about this. I cannot let my random daydreams of working there next get the better of me. And its got nothing to do with being desparate for a job, because I really am not. I guess it is just the first time that I have felt passionate about a potential job - like I've been fiddling around - loving Women's health, writing about women's health, reading about women's health, hoping to get a placement there for the past 5 years and here is a real opportunity to play a part in shaping the experiences that women have. Look, I think I'll get an interview - surely on the strength of our telephone conversation I believe the woman I spoke to will grant me an interview - and the resume and cover letter I sent in today will surely impress them - but I'm not so confident on being given the job.

Anyway onto real life; my baby boy is turning 3 on Wednesday. His request for his birthday - a Lightening McQueen cake (eek!), um ok son. His request for friends, "I only want Oscar and Henry Mummy, they are my best friends". So looks like we might have a teeny, tiny get together at the park this weekend, because party is such short notice and so close to Xmas - and my beautiful grown up little boy will get his Lightening McQueen cake - oh and perhaps a birthday present from his parents. Best get onto that, and all the other related Xmas stuff that I have to do in the next 11 days. I haven't bought a thing for Xmas yet! Wheeeee, Knifepoint in the week before Xmas. My idea of pleasure, fun and laughter... NOT.

We fly out in 11 days - how exciting. Our trip to Sydney is shaping up to be fantastic. So far we have plans for NYE staying with gorgeous bunch of friends - for a day/night/day full of feasts and drinks alike. Our children will be delighted to play with a bunch of friends - it will be so much fun! We also plan to be the quintessential tourists up there - visit the Harbour bridge, catch a ferry, go to Taronga Zoo....um, eat out as much as possible..lol. Any other ideas?

Anyway, I smell all things that are good to eat on the stove. J has made a beautiful casserole type dish and my tummy is rumbling.

I think this is a sign that my posting here may well increase again.

xx Thanks for following and supporting me my lovely friends. Some of you have listened, patted and consoled me for the past 5 years - You know I love you all. Thanks xx.

ps - I so need to get myself to SAVERS!! I'm there tomorrow morning I predict ;)

No comments: