Thursday 7 August 2008

Transcribing

I have completed my first interview. I cannot tell you how much of a privilege it is to listen to something so personal, with someone opening up in front of you, a virtual stranger. I cannot explain to everyone just how excited I am about this research now - I just need a couple more participants and I will be on my way.

Now onto the transcribing. Yesterday I sat at my pc and transcribed for the most part of the day. So far I have only transcribed 30 minutes!! There is about an hour to go - omg I didn't really anticipate how much the transcribing would take me, its all good though. Apart from cringing when listening to my own voice, I am immersing myself in the data and already starting to analyse and make connections to my literature review.

Things I have learnt;

How much I love interviewing people - it really is an honour to be allowed to listen in to somebodies story.

How much I love the mechanics of research - organising an interview room, dealing with varied people, working out how to get somewhere I have never been before, the interview itself. I really like the contact with people.

My placement

I have been given confirmation about my placement. It is going to be at the private hospital I mentioned before and I will be working in the acute health section of social work. At this hospital it is cancer and neurology. God, I hope I can do this - I hope it isn't too challenging for me...! My supervisor I spoke to sounds really lovely, so fingers crossed all goes well. I'm starting the 8th of September.

Best be off, I have less than an hour to transcribe more before J leaves for the day.

3 comments:

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

This is probably waaay out of line. Not entirely sure what your placement will involve. But Mum of course, had MND, so if you want to talk about dealing with that kind of issue/patient, I'm here.


Sneaks away, mortified at her gall..

Lex said...

oh no, thats not out of line at all Melissa. I'm not entirely sure what I will be doing - apart from "social work" - having a caseload of patients, referrals, family and group work, counselling and grief and loss. I have a meeting there on tuesday to meet my supervisors and discuss in more detail what my placement entails. I dare say though that this will be personally challenging for a number of reasons as well as a steep learning curve for my skills.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the placement Lex! It sounds fascinating and I'm sure you'll be great at it. I can't wait to hear how it al goes.

Great news that the interviewing is well under way too!!

xxxx