Wednesday 1 October 2008

Just had to share...

I think it was in a previous post I mentioned the life changing and positve aspects of the sw area that I am in whilst on placement.

Today I got to experience that first hand just how amazing this work is. Today we went on a home visit. Home visits occur when patients appear to be ready to start having some weekend leave, they go home to their family overnight in the lead up for them coming home. Before that happens, the Occupational therapist goes to the house to see whether any adjustments need to be made and that the patient will be safe. Today I went on one of this visits.

This person had not been home for a number of months. The emotion that he and his family felt when he walked through the door, I just couldn't begin to describe. Well, I could but it just wouldn't convey it. It was enough that I had to blink back tears a number of times - it was just so amazing watching this clearly loving family just be and the patient reuniting with his pets that he hadn't seen for a number of months. Joyful, ecstatic, emotional, beautiful.

how privileged am I, to have been able to witness this family experience today?

On the drive back to the hospital with the patient, the news came on.. it was a story of parents (I think?) who had been arrested after starving their 7 year old daughter to death, she was found weighing 9kg at that age. Everybody audibly groaned at the description and I turned to my supervisor and said... 'and there is the other side of social work'.

1 comment:

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

I'm glad, so glad, Lex that you get to experience the wonderful side of you work.

Too often, when we think of SW, we think of stories like the one you heard on the news. It's wonderful that you can tell us about the upside.

Think of the people who's lives are going to be better becuase of you. Becuase you were in them, and becuase you helped them. What a wondeful feeling that must give you.