Monday 3 November 2008

ok, mood has cleared.

Sorry for the last grumble post. I don't do "sick" very well. The upside of all of the events of the past week are; I've lost 4kgs!! Downside is, it is most likely water loss and it will be back soon enough. My oldest son J has managed to also recover, returning to both Kinder and cc today and it looks like the man of the house has managed to escape the horror of tummy terrors! Lucky man.

I went back to work today, I felt awful - I'd missed more than 3 days there last week and I went back to one of my patients going home and 4 new ones coming in, so a very busy day! The time is just running away from me, I can't quite believe that it is week 8 of my placement! I'm now at the point where I am pretty much independent, and I loike it a lot.

So many things going on in the world at the moment, my mind is constantly distracted by what is going on around me, to the point of neglecting my own studies (naughty) - but I've been hungrily devouring anything written about the much discussed "financial crisis" that is threatening the economy - I read this for a number of reasons - obviously the selfish reasons of wondering and trying to imagine how and if it is going to impact me? Are they scare mongering? I know I've pretty much secured employment (even if it is just a locum position), will house prices really drop and will that enable us to buy? Selfishly I also think about the lucky position that my partner and I find ourselves in - we might be in a low income group right now, but we are only transitting at this point and we enter the next year - tripling our incomes but with little debt, so if we hold on tight, we might benefit. But then, what of all the people who will next year continue to live with incomes just like ours - struggling to survive, pay exhorbitant rents and feed their children good food on what feels like a thimble full of money? So, for these people I worry and so I hope that it doesn't get as bad as what the media are saying....

The other major thing (in case you've spent the last 22 months asleep) is the US election, due to be held in 2 days. And a time, where I really do hope that the wind of change that came sweeping Australia last November continues on down the line with Obama. What a time in history this is...

You can bet that in 50 years - this era will be critiqued by historians and economists alike - and so I might be like, a bit of a nerd, but it kinda feels exciting to be here witnessing these moments in time.

(and now I'll turn my wank-o-meter off)

No comments: