Wednesday 14 May 2008

A rant

You know what? I'm really getting sick of people whinging and whining about they are hard done by because they earn 150k as a household. I'm seeing it on a forum that I frequent and it is making me so damn mad!

Last night the Australian Federal Government handed down their first budget of their electoral term. As part of their budget they are means testing some of the payments, including the 'baby bonus' - to 150k per household and making changes to the Child care Rebate and Family Tax benefits part B. This is fantastic and in my opinion didn't go far enough, 150k is MORE than reasonable - it is way above the average household income, so I think it is more than fair.

But. No, due to the hangover of the Howard years - where he fed everybody welfare, regardless of income, people have come to expect that welfare is rightfully theirs.

What is rich? Rich is not having to worry about putting food on your table. Rich is not worrying about how you are going to pay your rent. Wealth is too. Wealth is about being comfortable and knowing that tonight your children will sleep safe and warm in their beds.

There is no figure on this. If you can afford to do it, you are rich. Full stop. I'm sorry to all the rich people who have lost their welfare payments due to the budget. But, I'm sure that with a bit of perspective, you might look to the people who you share this country with who will go to sleep tonight on cardboard, enter their local welfare agency to get some food vouchers and hope and pray they can make it to their next Centrelink payment day and then realise just how wealth you actually are.

I am rich. My children might dress in 2nd hand clothing, but they are dressed warmly, well fed, they sleep under a roof and they eat 3 meals a day. I'm so very lucky that we have payments directed through the Government that acknowledge the importance of us obtaining an education, and support us (meagre though it is) to do this.

When I am earning next year, I will expect and HOPE that the Government continues to tax me and provide help and support to those that need it most. And that is NOT to the people who have 150k incomes, even if they live in Sydney!!

2 comments:

Shel said...

Oh, I'm dirty. How dare Kevin use MY money to fund stuff like hospitals. Or those that really need it. Although, it's all moot to me - I'm not ever getting a baby bonus anyway!!! :)

Pathetic really isn't it? This sense of entitlement!???

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch Lex :O)