Wednesday 10 September 2008

It just feels right...

You know when you have that feeling that you have made the right decision, you don't second guess yourself - but you feel anxious and slightly nervous that you might be mistaken about something important? You dwell on it a little and wonder if the decision you have made, which impacts on your life in a big way, is right?

Well now - up until Monday morning, I felt like that - holding my breath, scared I had made the wrong decision - but I hadn't :) - I exhaled, my shoulders dropped, my anxiety lessened - I suddenly saw a much bigger picture... this might sound trite, but ...

I honestly believe I was born to be a Social worker. This fits me like a glove, I feel so comfortable - so content even on placement. The work is me. The style is me. I like the "profession" feel about it. I've never worked in any profession before and it just feels right. And then I remembered back to last year and I remember feeling even more nervous, but I remember walking in and feeling like I had come home. It is such a strong feeling, perhaps it is so pronounced because I have had so many other jobs where I just did the work, but didn't love it and didn't feel like it had much purpose to it if you know what I mean?

I don't even consider the fact that all this placement is unpaid. I love getting on the train with the thousands of others at 7.30 and watching the world go by on my way to work while I listen to very bad 1980's music.

I'm actually feeling so satisfied with myself, the study is almost over, this is what I have been working towards and this placement feels like a reward to me. I'm excited by the future and I'm even more convinced that I can see myself working in a hospital.

Last essay due tomorrow. Then only 13,000 words to go, and all - ALL will be done*.

Children are coping well with me being away. Truthfully, I don't think they really care. After all, their nanna will be looking after them on the days that they aren't in Kinder/child care and she spoils them very much so, they'll be very happy indeed.

Oh and finally before I go to finish up my last essay - I'm getting so many compliments on my wardrobe...and all of it, even the shoes, have come from savers!

ps - I'm also aware that I am only 3 days in and I could still be in the "honeymoon phase". I doubt it, but I reserve the right to reverse my pledgings of love etc if I need to ;) .


*Can someone please shoot me if I start talking about Masters or higher..my fieldwork supervisor was talking about her masters degree and my thesis supervisor keeps mentioning future research for me....

3 comments:

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Lex I know we've had a lot of ups and downs (mostly downs *blush*) but I'd really be interested in seeing your results when they're complete about the miscarriage study. As you know, I've been through it, and in 2004 I had a pretty bad experience with late night emergency staff when I was having a miscarriage. I think the study of miscarriage and opening up dialogue on it is so important. If it's ok could you please pop a link in here when it's done or email it to me?

(I deleted that last post as I put my email address in it and shouldn't have. I'll grab your uni email from EB and email you mine that way).

Sue

Lex said...

Hi Sue,

No problems. This research is incredibly important to me and there have been some initial findings which I believe will really add value to this type of research. Thanks for your comments.