Wednesday 17 September 2008

things....

that I have been enjoying...

hospital smell (weird I know)

running into a most beauutiful woman at Flinders st *mwah* Amoir.

treating myself to a bento box for lunch today

realising that I only have 12.5 weeks to go till I finished.

finding a 5th participant for my research.

Climbing stairs all day long

Having my appearance commented on more than once by other staff (positively I should add).

Being blessed with another fantastic supervisor

transcribing.

patients, families and other staff that I am coming across.

12.5 weeks to go. 12.5 weeks to go.

Talking to my best friend by skyppe and seeing each others faces when she told me she was pregnant!

Managing to wear a wardrobe (with compliments) that almost entirely has come from savers or is second hand.

Being a quick learner and showing my competency enough that people are actually starting to ask my clinical opinion


things that I haven't been enjoying...

waking up.

trying to wish away time spent on a train that is packed quite literally like sardines.

missing the gym..

borderline personality disorder (not me).

arriving home at 7.30 due to above ... and missing seeing my boys awake last night as a result.

finding an email from my supervisor "gently reminding" me that I need to submit a powerpoint presentation for my honours asap.

Looking at my diary and realising that I have to hand in my next draft of my lit review within the next 14 days!!

Finding the time to interview latest participant

Transcribing (double edged sword because takes so much time but is so important!)

Riding on a tram every morning past an abortion clinic and seeing security staff guarding the front gate and seeing between one and five people with their placards waiting to harass women as they are forced to pass them on their way in. Notes - most are old men. Funny that. Note 2 - they have placards of the fetus, depicting it as being individual - with the mother not even represented. One day I'm going to get off that tram and walk past to have a closer look and see what they have to say. It really makes me incensed. What do they expect? Women to go 'oh thank you for helping me see the light?' 'shoving the plastic representation of a fetus has magically made all of the issues that brought me to make this most serious and important decision go away, how can I ever repay you?'. As you can tell, it raises my bp but I look out for it every single day. Just to see if they will be there today. And they are.

Missing my children and husband more than ever.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I've always wondered why those placards always show somewhat gruesome amateurish pictures of parasitic foetuses. I wonder if they had pictures of families and communities supporting a newborn if they'd have more success. Just goes to prove to me that they're not in it to help women and babies - they're there to push an agenda and a doctrine that they've never examined.

Shel said...

Just keep swimming darling. Nearly at the end of another week.

I'm over here smiling at how they must be taking you and know that they will be as bowled over by you as I am.

Keep going - you're NEARLY there!!

Lex said...

aw thanks Shel darling, you're not so bad yourself ;).

They were there again Jenn, just like every other day. With their 3-D placards, it makes me feel sick - but I'm drawn to the window every single day to see if they're assembled.